A whole multiverse of SPOILERS lies ahead.
Guardians of the Multiverse
Peering in, she sees the Hydra-Stomper armor. And there’s apparently someone inside.
Entertain your brain with the coolest news from streaming to superheroes, memes to video games.
That’s it for this season of What If …?, but season 2 is confirmed and will likely arrive in 2022 or 2023. You don’t have to wait that long for your , though — hits theaters Nov. 5, and kicks off on Disney Plus Nov. 24.
Taking on Infinity Ultron
Presumably, this plot point will be resolved in season 2.
More mid-credits, but you get it. Peggy suggests she be returned to World War II as a reward (much like Steve Rogers went back in ), but the Watcher convinces her that she’s needed in modern times. Back to the SHIELD vessel, her universe’s Black Widow reveals that she’s found a shipping container that’ll interest Peggy.
The villains’ betrayal
It’s unclear what the deal with Steve is — it’s possible he was captured by Hydra after WWII. If he aged normally, he’d be in his mid-90s by this point, but he may have been kept in cryogenic stasis (like
Strange Supreme agrees to watch over the trapped villains and make sure they don’t escape. Since Strange is already in a pocket dimension, it’s essentially a pocket dimension within a pocket dimension.
Natasha manages to defeat Ultron by infecting him with the AI copy of Hydra scientist Arnim Zola (Toby Jones), as she and the late Hawkeye
Predictably, Killmonger and Zola both make grabs for the Infinity Stones. Killmonger reasons that they can use them to fix their worlds, and prepares to slaughter the heroes when they refuse to go along with his plan.
Home again, mostly
Most of the others are returned to their realities at the moment they left. Since Black Widow from the
In the wake of that defeat, the desperate Watcher turned to the to seek his help and we ask the question: What If… The Watcher Broke His Oath?
Presumably this is Steve Rogers, whom Peggy thought she’d left behind when she traveled to modern times after leaping into a time portal to fight Hydra’s champion back in WWII (that’s a complicated sentence).
The Watcher gathers a bunch of the heroes we’ve seen in previous episodes — , , Strange Supreme, , and — for his anti-Ultron squad, plucking them from their universes at pivotal moments.
Movies coming in 2021 and 2022 from Netflix, Marvel, HBO and more
See all photos
Observations, WTF questions and Easter eggs
- What were the actual consequences of the Watcher interfering? He didn’t end up in his manager’s office or anything (at least as far as we saw).
- If Peggy was lost in time, who co-founded SHIELD in her reality?
- Peggy and Natasha have an awesome rapport in the scenes riffing on the events of The Winter Soldier, and Peggy’s stealth suit (with the white Union Jack) is super cool.
- Natasha suggests that Bernard in accounting is interested in Peggy. She makes a similar comment about Lillian from accounting as a possible date for Steve in The Winter Soldier.
- The heroes’ first objective is to grab the Soul Stone and deliver it to Gamora. In the mainline MCU, Thanos sacrifices Gamora to obtain it in (and Natasha later sacrifices herself to get it in Endgame).
- The sweeping shot of the heroes gathered during the battle with Ultron mirrors a similar moment in the first Avengers movie.
- Did Peggy think Steve died in the period between WWII and her arrival in modern times?
After an Infinity Stone-empowered Ultron marched across the multiverse last week, episode 9 — the season finale — of alternate reality